Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What's for dinner?

Tonight I tried a new recipe.  Sweet and spicy stir-fry.  It was a smash hit with everyone including my 2 year old!  Here is the recipe, hope you enjoy!  I'm trying to remember to take pictures of what I'm cooking to share but alas I keep forgetting!

The Sauce:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
Dash of garlic powder or fresh minced, if desired (I used about a 1/2 teas of minced)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (I like spice and a whole tsp still wasn't enough)

The Stir-fry:
Any combination of chopped vegetables to equal 2 cups (I used carrots, celery, and broccoli)
3 or 4 chicken breasts cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. warm water





Make the sauce first by mixing together the brown sugar and soy sauce, add in the garlic and crushed red pepper, stick on the stove until all the sugar is melted, then remove from heat and put aside.  Heat your wok and 2ish tbsp EVOO, throw the veggies in for 5 mins or so then remove them from the pan.  Add 3 or 4 more tbsp EVOO to wok and add your chicken stirring frequently until mostly cooked (I'm weird about chicken and usually over cook it a bit, but still yummy!)  Add vegetables back in and stir in sauce; reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is heated through and slightly thickened. If you don't like the thickness of it, add your cornstarch and warm water together, stir until mixed then add to your wok, it should thicken nicely.  Serve with rice!

No comments: